[Factorio] Half an Hour In the Factory

Recently my time-measuring techiques got enhanced with a new unit: the eponymous half an hour in the factory. Funnily enough, this period can last everywhere from actual 0.5 h (which is a very, very rare occurence) to as much as 5 full hours. And there is no way to predict the result in advance.


Factorio is one of those games I pretty much learnt about by a complete accident. And welp; I can't stop. In the past two weeks I restarted my campaign thrice, each time beginning anew and rearranging stuff. And I'm afraid the cycle will repeat soon, swamping me for good.

I bet most of you played Minecraft, or at least know the point there. Punch trees, pick up bricks, rearrange them, turn into more and more complex structures. Then mod the heck out of the game and build an actual factory. Then get bored and return after a few months to start anew.

Factorio goes a step further - you don't build houses or random constructions, the focus is put exclusively on... well, factory. THE Factory, with a capital F. Starting from mining iron and coal by hand, erecting primitive stone furnaces to smelt metals and building small steam engines to power first rudimentary automatons, you bootstrap yourself through more and more complex machines, all the way up to railway guns, nuclear rockets and advanced electronics. All that because you crash-landed on a remote planet and need to somehow build your own rocket to go back into space.

This is practically Robinson Cruzoe, but with the power of science. And IN SPACE.

Oh, and by the way - the planet is inhabited with aliens that hate pollution and will grow stronger and more aggressive the more you expand your factory. And they are basically budget Zerg - bugs and other critters that spawn in legions, strike in swarms and for every one you kill, five more take its place. Good thing you have plenty of options to defend yourself, too.

However, tanks beat bugs. In Starcraft, Factorio, everywhere
I kinda doubt I'd post a lot of Factorio stuff here - mostly because it's, well, pretty dry story-wise; there is no lore, no events, just an epic struggle against the environment. Still, the game is... well, addicting. I lost track of how many times I booted it up "just for a few minutes", and end up at 5 AM, very strongly reconsidering my life priorities...

Anyway, time for me to dive back in and tweak my concrete production assembly. Cya later, aligators!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping Stones

[Rimworld] Survivors of the Berenice - parts I & II